Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Buy Bob's Business For a Buck

Small businesses are the backbone of America.


Ray Harmon & Ron Ruiz
When I was a kid, a couple of guys used to sell BBQ out of a homemade pit on the side of the road.  Despite their meager set-up, people were always lined up for dinner – the food was just that good.  One day, a guy named Bob Catalano decided to invest in Ray Harmon and Ron Ruiz by giving them start-up capital, a storefront and a little encouragement.  Voila!  Harmon’s BBQ was born.  (Side Note:  I’m not exaggerating when I say Harmon’s BBQ is hands-down the best BBQ I’ve ever had – they catered our wedding – and the smoke from their now-enormous outdoor pit can be savored for miles.)



Harmon’s experience with Bob Catalano isn’t unique; this man has invested his time and money into many small businesses in South Texas.  Businesses like Catalano’s Pizzeria (Owned by Carl Garza – after eating and loving his pizza, Bob helped Carl set up this phenomenal eatery), Youz Guyz (Owned by Jimmy & Kathy De Laurentis – Bob felt that Texas needed fantastic Philly Cheesesteaks, so he helped fund their initial investment), Catalano Enterprises (Owned by Tony Catalano and Randy Sigalas – a thriving construction business that Bob sold to these two young bucks for $10) – and the list goes on. . .

Bob is a humble man who is infamous around my hometown for being a genuinely good guy.

Imagine my surprise when a YouTube video of Bob popped up on my Facebook feed asking everyone in America for a $1 loan to help buy back Northcliffe Golf Course – a property in Schertz, Texas that he co-owns with a Tomas Gonzalez – from Taiwanese Investors.

We moved to California ten years ago, so my standards are admittedly lower, but I’m confused.  Northcliffe Golf Course is not located in an impoverished area smack-dab in the middle of nowhere.  Schertz, Texas was voted by Money Magazine as one of the top places to live in the United States.  Northcliffe Golf Course is 150 acres of prime real estate that has its own exit off the only interstate between San Antonio and Austin.  It’s also the only golf course in the city, how could an American bank refuse to lend them money?

Are small businesses in this country in such bad shape that a guy like Bob is reduced to turning to the internet to plead his case to America for help?  Is America on its way to subservience?
Tomas Gonzalez and Bob Catalano

Below is an interview with Bob and Tomas to investigate this issue further:

Where are you both from originally?
BOB:  I was born in South Philadelphia and moved to South Jersey at age 12.
TOMAS:  I am an immigrant from Michoachan, Mexico.

How did you two become small business owners?
BOB:  I learned construction and started working. I transferred to San Antonio TX in 1981 with Allstate Insurance Company as a direct repair contractor.
TOMAS:  I worked 30 years at Northcliffe Golf Course.  I love this place.  I began in maintenance and worked my way up.  When the opportunity came up to invest in this course, I worked two jobs and invested everything I had to become part owner.

How long have you owned Northcliffe Golf Course?
BOB:  We’ve been in possession of the Golf Course for 5 ½ years.

Why do you need $2.5 million by July 1st?  What happens if you don’t procure the funds needed?
BOB:  July 1st is our deadline.  Pate-Chen Investors will come in and take control of the course if payment of $2 million is not received or a substantial amount of down payment (in excess of $250,000.00) so that they may entertain the notion of holding the note again.

Are you in debt?
BOB:  No, we are profitable and debt-free.  Five and a half years ago Pate-Chen gave us a set amount of time to secure long-term financing, but with the way the banks are run – we didn’t qualify.

You’ve invested your life savings into this place, Tomas – what will happen to you?
TOMAS:  I don’t know.  I just don’t know.  I will have to get a job – start again from the bottom.

How did you get to this place of needing the money?

BOB:  It’s partly our fault.  My former partner and General Manager had to be removed after three poorly operated years of business.  Further investigations proved misappropriation of funds and corporate embezzlement. He voluntarily stepped down.  The problem is with three bad years of business performance, we have had to try and convince Banks and investors to lend money.  Since I came in 2 years ago, the operating of the Golf Course business is doing well.  We are profitable and the bills have been paid for the last 20 months, but that’s not good enough.  Realize that we have never defaulted or not paid a bill – even when it was being run poorly.

You used the term “Asian” in your video, a generalization that some may find offensive, but could you be more specific as to who holds your note?  What nationality and to what type of business are you Show allbeholden?
BOB:  Pate-Chen Investment is an Asian group from Taiwan.  They have been most generous with us.  Kind, gracious and patient, however my former partner abused their helping hand and then ran out.  No complaint about these people. They went over and above their obligations.  Apologies are in order if anyone is offended by me saying Asian.  The few I know are great.

If you don’t gain the funds needed, 150 acres of prime Texas real estate will go to foreign investors – is that correct?
BOTH:  Yes.

If Taiwanese investors can see the Golf Course’s value – why can’t the American Banks?
BOB:  As I explained, the performance of the prior business operation was horrendous and it would take a special bank to consider all the reasons why we got in trouble and not just look at the numbers.


You said you feel like the American government has forgotten about small business – why do you think that is?
BOB:  Small business loans are so hard to obtain – they make it impossible. If you could meet the criteria, the majority of applicants wouldn’t need the money to begin with.  In addition, the taxes involved with business are quite burdensome. 
With Small Businesses being one, if not THE biggest source of new job creation, how do you feel about the big corps getting bail-out money for far worse offenses than that of your former business partner?
BOB:  Sick.  Here’s the thing – if the government would give every small business in America some of that bailout money – say, $20,000-$30,000 – to make repairs, market, add-on, pay bills, reinvest – we would see the unemployment rate drop.  Every time you reinvest – you have to hire people from electricians, to construction workers to designers, to whatever.  The government seems to think that because we own a small business that we are all independently wealthy – we’re not, we work really hard for every dime we make.

This is a lot to take on.  You are both men of faith, has your faith been tested during this time of uncertainty?
BOB:  My faith is based on the fact that Christ died to provide me salvation and paid the price of sin for me. I never put my trouble out there to test him.  His will, will be done. I’m quite content in knowing I’m saved, born again and will be heading to glory land.
TOMAS:  Since working with Bob, I came to know God and for that I am so thankful.  So, what ever happens is His will.

There are a lot of people facing similar problems to yours, why did you decide to make a “commercial” asking for a $1 loan from the American people?
BOB:  The money is not the only issue here.  The commercial is an attempt to bring awareness to the fact that OUR country should help small businesses. We work hard and instead of giving our money to every other country that has a problem, we should provide for our own hard working entrepreneurs. We don’t want something for nothing. We are willing to pay back money borrowed.   The government gives money to so many international programs.  We are not the world’s Daddy but we are the United States’ Uncle Sam.

Any final words to our readers?
BOB:  I’ve been blessed with a good wife who, by the way, is responsible for any and all success we both have accomplished and a beautiful family. My wife and myself were raised by hard working families. All is well, Life is good, God is Better.
TOMAS:  I am also blessed with my wife and three kids.  If I lose everything. . .I will always be thankful that I was able to work with Bob, because he showed me God.


PHOTO CREDITS: Theresa Aimone

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON HOW YOU CAN HELP BOB AND TOMAS:  CLICK HERE

0 comments:

Post a Comment